One of the events that kept me away from the keyboard was a big bake sale that I did on Saturday. As most of you will know, baking is one of my passions so I loved every last exhausting second of making a million and one cakes! I am going to pop a few of the recipes up on here over the next few weeks, but today I am going to start with one of the most popular ones... cherry bakewell loaves and believe me they were delicious. Let's get down to it.
70g caster sugar
1 egg yolk
70g self-raising flour
1 tsp almond extract
55g ground almonds
55g glace cherries
A handful of flaked almonds
1. Preheat the oven to 180c.
2. Put the butter, caster sugar, egg, egg yolk, flour, almond extract and ground almonds in a mixer and beat togeher until smooth. Chop the cherries into quarters and fold them into the mixture.
3. Spoon the mixture into loaf cases (can be purchased from most supermarkets/baking shops).
4. Break up the flaked almonds and scatter them over the cake mixture.
5. Bake them in the oven for 25 minutes. Leave to cool for 5 minutes in the tray and transfer them to a cooling rack.
You also have the option of adding a bit of icing. Mix 55g of icing sugar with 2tsp lemon juice and drizzle over the cakes when completely cool.