Today I bring you my entry for the Easter Make & Bake competition being held by The Pink Whisk and Two Little Fleas. I created a little Easter garden. The cake inside is a lovely lemon and coconut cake.
- 250g unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 450g golden caster sugar
- Zest and juice of 2 lemons
- 200ml coconut cream
- 8 eggs
- 450g of self raising flour
For the filling and decoration
- Lemon curd
- A large box of regal icing
- Icing for decorations
- Malteasers bunny
- Chocolate nest
- Mini eggs
- 1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Grease and line 2 cake tins.
- 2. Cream the butter, sugar and lemon zest/juice together with an electric whisk. Then whisk in the coconut cream and eggs. Fold in the flour until combined.
- 3. Split the mixture into the 2 cake tins. Bake for 30 minutes. Stick a skewer into the middle of the cake and if it comes out clean then they are done. Cool slightly on the tins and them out them on a cooling each to cool completely.
- 4. Spread the lemon curd onto the bottom cake. Add the other cake on top. Using a spatula, cover the cake in buttercream and pop in the fridge.
- 5. Roll out the regal icing. Lay the icing on top of the cake and smooth over until covered.
- 6. Roll out some icing to create the path, making sure is long enough to cover the length of the cake. Dab a tiny bit of water on the cake to secure the path in place. Add green colouring to buttercream to create the grass, them pipe onto the cake.
- 7. Add the chocolate nest, chocolate bunny and the flowers.
- 8. Enjoy.
The competition is being ran by http://www.twolittlefleas.co.uk and http://www.thepinkwhisk.co.uk/.